He was surely expected to be at the High-Tea thrown by Glenn McGrath foundation where the Australian PM was just speaking. But he was not there surprisingly! Instead he was found at the Sydney Grounds Trust’s lounge. Receptionist told he has been enjoying Clarke’s triple century there. Some restricted areas of SCG are very strict regarding dress code like the Lord’s. Without suit- tie entry is not allowed. He – Steve Waugh came down. He gave his first interview to Indian Media on this tour at the reception. As dress code area starts from there.

He opens up about what he feels about Sourav Ganguly and confesses that he is a brilliant captain who is the only one who could make a team win in Australia. He also talks about the famous mind-game played by Sourav Ganguly years back.
Ques : In Steve Waugh’s model, India said defeating Australia at their back yard would be the aim. But now only it’s apparent India won’t win. Why do you think India couldn’t keep its pledge?
SW: India got many chances at the MGC. But batsmen couldn’t take the advantage. The challenge was there at SCG but it was for the first 3-4 hours. They couldn’t show enough discipline. There was lack of dedication which was needed to stay on the crease. The bowlers tried but it was not enough. Zaheer & Ishant couldn’t prepare well as they were returning after an injury layoff. Both didn’t seem effective enough. The warm-up match at Canberra wasn’t enough for practice. In short, India came unprepared like raw cooking.
Ques: If you were the Indian Captain and not Dhoni, what would you have done after winning the toss at Sydney?
SW: I would have batted. Wouldn’t have thought much about toss. It is not under my control. My focused would have been to put to use whatever fate would have given me. I won’t see that mentality in this Indian team. Like seeing Shewag making some shots in the first test was quite annoying. He missed at least 30 times playing that way. My point is how can a senior pro like him can make such shots? May be you are getting away but what kind of an example are you setting for the dressing room. The ball is seaming and swinging at the wicket. Bounce is also there. Some deliveries are being caught by the keeper ride beside the head. Can someone play like this there? Only Sachin played rightly in the first innings. He wasn’t playing drive if he wasn’t getting half – volley. He was right as hitting a drive on this wicket means inviting trouble.
Ques: Doesn’t so much of hype regarding Sachin ton of tons seem unreal?
SW: Surely it is unreal.
Ques: As it appears from the public’s attitude that century can be bought from any super market in Sydney?
SW: Right. Very much over the top. Actually there is so much of hype surrounding cricket in India that statistics becomes of utmost importance for them. If one writes about something, everybody jumps the gun. The matter gets exaggerated.
Ques : Why only India? England too hyped it. Now, it’s Australia. And ICC too.
SW: Right. It’s like fashion, everyone is copying it. Personally, I won’t get awed even if the 100 comes on Friday. I am already in awe of Sachin. For his 51 test tons. For me T-20 or ODI 100 isn’t that valuable. Test century is the most important. Sachin’s main benchmark is that he is the only one to climb the pick of 51 test tons. For me there are no more peaks after this.
Ques: But isn’t so much of talk regarding the 100th ton of Sachin, affecting his game?
S.W: May be. He is getting eaten up in the heart probably. But still Sachin seemed the bet among the Indian batsmen. The problem is he is getting too pressurized while managing the burden alone.
Ques: What about Michael Clarke’s innings today?
SW: Brilliant. Did you see SCG’s reaction to his triple ton! Excellent! Everyone stood up. The applause wasn’t stopping. So many magical moments are getting created one by one. Competitive sport is being watched for these wonderful moments.
Ques: Is your generation’s tradition existing through Clarke?
SW: My tradition?
Ques : Like giving everything for the Baggy Green. Not sacrificing anything for Baggy Green.
SW: Surely. Give everything for Australia. Step out in the sun with everything. Don’t keep anything in the shades. Taking your game to another level. And getting your opposition scared. They shouldn’t think there is any party at the wicket. This was my MANTRA.
Ques: While celebrating with Clarke today, one iconic after noon was striking in the memory. For that hysteria was increasing. People were waving red handkerchiefs throughout….
SW: I was also recollecting how 40,000 people created colour & pictures that day. Feel very satisfied. I made 80 in my last innings under much pressure. Sachin took my catch. I keep saying to myself, what a better ending than this?
Ques: What happened to that red handkerchiefs?
SW: Gave it to the MCG museum. Both my Baggy Green cap & red handkerchief were there
Ques: How do you feel seeing your bronze statue? Last year, during the Ashes it was unveiled at the MCG?
SW: I felt very shy when I saw the eyes of the statue. My children laugh seeing it. I, too feel unreal. It seems like it is someone else’s statue.

Ques: But it seems like the statue has been made after speaking with you. As there is a bat on one hand. No helmet on the other hand. But a Baggy Green Cap.
SW: Yes, I like it that way. I was consulted.
Ques: Given a chance, were would you like to see your statue? Madame Tussades? Where tourists other than cricket fans can see you. Or is SCG better?
SW: SCG. This is my home. I was brought up playing cricket here. I am happy to stay here.
Ques: After retiring in an interview you said, this is the real life. Earlier it was like a web. Due you feel the same even now?
SW: Leading Australia, winning so many matches- all this is a good experience and respect. But the real challenge lies outside cricket. Cricket was my natural skill. Succeeding there was easy & natural. But one can’t step out with a bat on the field of life. You have to win the challenges along with your problems & restrictions. It is much more exciting as it stirs you up innately. Very exciting.
Ques: What is the challenge?
SW: Everything is a challenge. My business. My charity. My family.

Ques : Are you thinking anything regarding Udayan? There you are still not Mr. Steve, rather Steve da?
SW: There are very open- minded. In the next one year work of another wing of Udayan will be completed. Funds have been raised. More children can be accommodated in this wing. I am not the one to leave through half way. This is my commitment of whole life.

Ques: What about writing book?
SW: Will complete writing the new book before Ashes next year.
Ques: Again India will be touring Australia in 2014-15. Let’s take no one else but you are needed
as the project head of India while preparing to defeat Australia on their soil. Will you be ready to show India the way against Baggy Green?
SW: I don’t think there will be a problem. When I used to play even then I was always ready to speak to the opponent team REGARDING TIPS. I won’t have any problem speaking regarding preparations.

ABOUT DADAGIRI
Ques: You have seen Sourav’s team play & also Dhoni’s team in the two tests. What’s the difference?
SW: Sourav was probably more eager to win in Australia. He motivated the team very much. There was an iron-steel material in him. Dhoni is a different captain. Very cool & relaxed. I Don’t say it is bad. Players get confidence from Dhoni. But for beating Aussies in Australia, captain needs to be more fired-up. He needs to inject into the team a more aggressive mindset. Which Sourav was able to do.
Ques: It amazes me to hear praise about Sourav from you. There is a notion about the bitter on-field relation between you still existing.
SW: No no. We keep meeting up. There is no problem.
Ques: There was a controversy regarding the issue about making you wait at the toss.
SW: I got angry as I had to wait. But match referee Carrey Smith was more angry. He kept saying what’s happening?
Ques: Lat year in a reality show Sourav mentioned the reason. He said, he left the blazer in the dressing room. He got late as he had to go back to find it.
SW: I won’t contradict Sourav over what he had said. Won’t protest. Let him say whatever story he wants to narrate. I just have to ask did a friend left the blazer? Does it mean the blazer was left back in the dressing room consecutively 9 times(laughs)!
Source : ABP